CalBoy
May 5, 05:49 PM
Talking about the cost of swtiching, I might just add� Stepping out onto the moon cost a pretty penny too. I guess beating the Soviets to bragging rights in space was more important than implementing common sense on the ground.
What does that have to do with anything? :confused:
Even if this was somehow relevant, yes, it probably was more important to achieve a scientific feat at that point in time. The Apollo missions created generations of people who became interested in science, raised educational standards nationwide, and brought forth thousands of advancements that we still use in our daily lives.
Hang on� You're not distancing yourself from the illiterate masses now? I thought you agreed with them? ;)
Not with their reasoning. My scientific literacy is pretty good, and I don't have an inherent mistrust of science which many Americans do. This makes them resist things that are advocated by the scientific community, whether it's evolution, vaccination, or evidence-based medicine. So when scientists clamor about changing to the metric system, it raises two questions in the minds of people; 1) Why should I trust this person? and 2) Is the change really necessary?
I don't doubt scientists when they advocate for the metric system, in science. Howeve, since most of the advantages of the metric system are really reserved to the sciences, the question of whether or not everything in life should be metric really isn't a scientific one; it's an economic and convenience one. In my daily life I do not need to easily convert between the mass of water and its volume or take temperatures relative to the boiling point of water.
Well, I assume the US population ain't getting any smaller the longer you put it off.
No, but that doesn't mean that we should transition now either. It all depends on the ease of transition. This is why I think long term transitioning is the only real option available. Do things piecemeal in order of greatest economic return, and if there is no economic return on a particular item, forget it. There's no point in switching to something that is going only cost money; at some point there needs to be a positive return for it to make sense.
What does that have to do with anything? :confused:
Even if this was somehow relevant, yes, it probably was more important to achieve a scientific feat at that point in time. The Apollo missions created generations of people who became interested in science, raised educational standards nationwide, and brought forth thousands of advancements that we still use in our daily lives.
Hang on� You're not distancing yourself from the illiterate masses now? I thought you agreed with them? ;)
Not with their reasoning. My scientific literacy is pretty good, and I don't have an inherent mistrust of science which many Americans do. This makes them resist things that are advocated by the scientific community, whether it's evolution, vaccination, or evidence-based medicine. So when scientists clamor about changing to the metric system, it raises two questions in the minds of people; 1) Why should I trust this person? and 2) Is the change really necessary?
I don't doubt scientists when they advocate for the metric system, in science. Howeve, since most of the advantages of the metric system are really reserved to the sciences, the question of whether or not everything in life should be metric really isn't a scientific one; it's an economic and convenience one. In my daily life I do not need to easily convert between the mass of water and its volume or take temperatures relative to the boiling point of water.
Well, I assume the US population ain't getting any smaller the longer you put it off.
No, but that doesn't mean that we should transition now either. It all depends on the ease of transition. This is why I think long term transitioning is the only real option available. Do things piecemeal in order of greatest economic return, and if there is no economic return on a particular item, forget it. There's no point in switching to something that is going only cost money; at some point there needs to be a positive return for it to make sense.
-hh
Sep 11, 09:16 AM
Apple has over 150 stores in US(or is it 250?). So is it possible if someone wants to Buy or rent a movie he just goes to any of these stores(which will have Optic fibre connectivity with the online store) and download the desired movie on his iPod/Laptop/mini taking no more than 10 minutes. Now this might not sound that great but it should definitely up the sales of iFlicks by atleast 10-15% IMO. All these stores are located in prime locations in big cities. There is a huge number of footfalls in and around these stores...It`s just a thought and it might not really be possible...
One of the more interesting comments I've seen here.
If you think about the success of iTunes, much of it has been in the "long tail" of obscure music that gets a new chance to be sold, rather than just the Top 10 (or 20) mainstream hits that you would normally find in your local record store (Tower Records, etc).
The same also holds true with NetFlix: because the customer effectively "mail orders" his movie from a centralized distributor, he has more choices than what he finds in the local Blockbuster, since their distribution model suffers from shelf space being finite inside a brick-n-mortar store.
So where is this going?
Cross the concept of using the brick-&-mortar's storefront (Apple's) the the essentially "BTO" feature for buying DVD's of Netflix.
You order your movie online, then go pick it up at your local Apple store where they've freshly downloaded (across their GB connection), burned it to DVD (with copy protections) and stuck in a jewelbox for you.
Managing your consumers to prevent friday afternoon rushes can be built into the price structure: all movies are, say, $14.99, but there's a $5 discount for 12 hour notice and an extra 'rush' $5 handling fee if you order it in-store as a 'while you wait'.
What's in it for Apple? Besides the sale of movies themselves, its one way to increase foot traffic in your stores, for anytime a consumer is in the store, there might be an add-on sale or two.
In theory, Apple could make this a rental service model as well if they wanted to, but I consider that to be fairly unlikely. Similarly, a simliar idea could be done with the localized publishing (at the Apple Store) of iPhoto books ... what all of these ideas have in common is to reduce the delay in delayed gratification.
-hh
One of the more interesting comments I've seen here.
If you think about the success of iTunes, much of it has been in the "long tail" of obscure music that gets a new chance to be sold, rather than just the Top 10 (or 20) mainstream hits that you would normally find in your local record store (Tower Records, etc).
The same also holds true with NetFlix: because the customer effectively "mail orders" his movie from a centralized distributor, he has more choices than what he finds in the local Blockbuster, since their distribution model suffers from shelf space being finite inside a brick-n-mortar store.
So where is this going?
Cross the concept of using the brick-&-mortar's storefront (Apple's) the the essentially "BTO" feature for buying DVD's of Netflix.
You order your movie online, then go pick it up at your local Apple store where they've freshly downloaded (across their GB connection), burned it to DVD (with copy protections) and stuck in a jewelbox for you.
Managing your consumers to prevent friday afternoon rushes can be built into the price structure: all movies are, say, $14.99, but there's a $5 discount for 12 hour notice and an extra 'rush' $5 handling fee if you order it in-store as a 'while you wait'.
What's in it for Apple? Besides the sale of movies themselves, its one way to increase foot traffic in your stores, for anytime a consumer is in the store, there might be an add-on sale or two.
In theory, Apple could make this a rental service model as well if they wanted to, but I consider that to be fairly unlikely. Similarly, a simliar idea could be done with the localized publishing (at the Apple Store) of iPhoto books ... what all of these ideas have in common is to reduce the delay in delayed gratification.
-hh
RichP
Jul 30, 09:12 PM
Why would it be advantageous to ban texting? All these features on phones are simply functions of software, not requring excessive hardware technology, so its not like the phone would benefit from not having it.
Also, 5MP camera? Thats just ridiculous. The issue with all these phones is the lenses involved, not the resolution. Give me a 1.2MP that has some decent glass with it to take a picture rather than some bumped up resolution that is junk when I iSync the iPone to iPhoto :D Beside, the nokia phones that do actually have high resolution cameras are THICK. Over an inch. Im not saying we need the next razr here, but over 1" thick makes it uncomfortable to keep in your pocket.
And I think it will be SIM free too. As posted, we all go blow 200-400 on ipods, why not phones. Beside, if Apple just releases unlocked GSM phones, the carriers have no say. iTunes, iChat, VoiP when the wifi is available, its all open season if this thing isnt branded to a particular carrier.
Also, 5MP camera? Thats just ridiculous. The issue with all these phones is the lenses involved, not the resolution. Give me a 1.2MP that has some decent glass with it to take a picture rather than some bumped up resolution that is junk when I iSync the iPone to iPhoto :D Beside, the nokia phones that do actually have high resolution cameras are THICK. Over an inch. Im not saying we need the next razr here, but over 1" thick makes it uncomfortable to keep in your pocket.
And I think it will be SIM free too. As posted, we all go blow 200-400 on ipods, why not phones. Beside, if Apple just releases unlocked GSM phones, the carriers have no say. iTunes, iChat, VoiP when the wifi is available, its all open season if this thing isnt branded to a particular carrier.
ender land
Apr 10, 09:16 AM
As for the math, the equation is ambiguous. Another set of parentheses would help.
It's ambiguous in the same way 1 + 1 = ?? is ambiguous.
(the answer could be 2, or 10, or plenty of other answers if you make different assumptions other than what is stated in the unknown equation)
It's ambiguous in the same way 1 + 1 = ?? is ambiguous.
(the answer could be 2, or 10, or plenty of other answers if you make different assumptions other than what is stated in the unknown equation)
Radoo
Apr 18, 03:57 PM
shame really that Apple is resorting to Microsoft-esque tactics. If you can't beat em, just sue em, mentality.
Thats like saying that Coca-Cola should sue Pepsi
Xerox PARC should have aggressively sued Apple when the GUI was becoming commercialized.
NO, Apple did not invent the first GUI Operating System. Xerox made the first GUI in their Alto systems. Xerox only sued (late for that matter) when Apple sued Microsoft for their GUI OS (Windows).
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8b/Xerox_Alto.jpg/240px-Xerox_Alto.jpg
Look's just like an iMac! :eek: almost... Stupid patents... Good for Xerox, too bad that playing fair is not helping these days...:mad:
Thats like saying that Coca-Cola should sue Pepsi
Xerox PARC should have aggressively sued Apple when the GUI was becoming commercialized.
NO, Apple did not invent the first GUI Operating System. Xerox made the first GUI in their Alto systems. Xerox only sued (late for that matter) when Apple sued Microsoft for their GUI OS (Windows).
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8b/Xerox_Alto.jpg/240px-Xerox_Alto.jpg
Look's just like an iMac! :eek: almost... Stupid patents... Good for Xerox, too bad that playing fair is not helping these days...:mad:
gglockner
May 6, 12:52 AM
And let's not forget one thing: Apple moved from 680x0 to PPC and PPC to Intel because each time, the new CPU series offered a major improvement from the previous one. Today, Intel is the biggest innovator across the board in high-end CPUs - for desktop, server and laptops. There is no one on the horizon who can meet or beat Intel.
Splen
Mar 29, 01:40 PM
Meteorologist??? I guess you mean the Geologists.
I hope that Japan recover fast from this terrible catastrophe.
seismologist?
I hope that Japan recover fast from this terrible catastrophe.
seismologist?
MikhailT
Mar 30, 10:56 PM
He has a 13in, not a 15in.
Good catch, I thought I saw 15"
Good catch, I thought I saw 15"
aldejesus
Mar 30, 11:05 PM
Good catch, I thought I saw 15"
I was sharing this because I found it interesting, its supposed to be just 384MB shared. Just thinking if Lion enables more memory shared??:rolleyes:
I was sharing this because I found it interesting, its supposed to be just 384MB shared. Just thinking if Lion enables more memory shared??:rolleyes:
~Shard~
Aug 12, 09:11 AM
So you think Penryn pairs may be the 4 core mobile solution in 2008?
Possibly, although if Intel keeps moving along is may more likely end up being Penryn's successor. ;) ;cool:
Possibly, although if Intel keeps moving along is may more likely end up being Penryn's successor. ;) ;cool:
coder12
Mar 28, 11:09 AM
It's important that Apple starts to devote some serious time to it's operating systems as well. I don't see any major drawbacks to delaying any potential new hardware introductions.
I'm feeling the same way on this. I want Gingerbread and HPre OS to lust after iOS again!
I'm feeling the same way on this. I want Gingerbread and HPre OS to lust after iOS again!
Ryth
Apr 25, 10:15 AM
It's not a big deal at all.
As soon as you get any electronic device that uses the internet in some way shape or form, you are leaving a trail. You are leaving a electronic paper trail all the damn time.
Deal with it or ditch your devices.
As soon as you get any electronic device that uses the internet in some way shape or form, you are leaving a trail. You are leaving a electronic paper trail all the damn time.
Deal with it or ditch your devices.
Jape
Dec 20, 09:17 PM
Ok, its the 20th...lets see what email we get next from BLT.
Well looks Like it didn't come again :(
Well looks Like it didn't come again :(
citizenzen
Apr 19, 11:05 AM
What does "willing to be convinced" mean? Will you read Human Action by Mises? It's a thousand pages of thoroughly explained economics. You don't have to read the whole thing, just the sections pertaining to monetary policy and taxes... So you're really only doing yourself a disservice by passively waiting for someone with all the answers-
That's like saying that I need to read the whole Bible instead of you just telling me why you're a believer.
That's all we're asking. Just tell us why you believe something to be true.
If you inspire us enough, maybe we'll crack open that Bible.
That's like saying that I need to read the whole Bible instead of you just telling me why you're a believer.
That's all we're asking. Just tell us why you believe something to be true.
If you inspire us enough, maybe we'll crack open that Bible.
Jape
Nov 14, 01:06 AM
BLT changed there ETA to 11-17 so hopefully we all will get it sooner :)
war
Nov 22, 09:40 AM
I wish Apple would keep features at a minimum. My current phone has so many features that I don't use. I don't care if it can surf the internet nor do I care if it can take pictures. Could I just get a phone with a great address book that syncs really well with my mac? I just want an excellent way to keep control of my contacts, that's it. Any mobile phone companies out there listening? Stop putting features in that I don't care about.
iMikeT
Aug 2, 05:21 PM
What isn't new?
This is what I think:
-Financial report
-Update report of Macs using Intel processors
-Update report of universal applications
-Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) preview
One more thing......
-Mac Pro (Intel powered PowerMac) announced. Will ship with Woodcrest. Will ship early-mid September.
-(Very slim chance of announcement) Intel powered Xserve
This is what I think:
-Financial report
-Update report of Macs using Intel processors
-Update report of universal applications
-Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) preview
One more thing......
-Mac Pro (Intel powered PowerMac) announced. Will ship with Woodcrest. Will ship early-mid September.
-(Very slim chance of announcement) Intel powered Xserve
appleguy123
May 2, 11:01 PM
In I haven't read the rules yet, so there's a small chance that that might change.
ImNoSuperMan
Sep 11, 02:21 PM
What we will get:
Movie service with 320x240 movies, Airport Express AV with compostie and s-video only.
:(
Extremely unlikely. Or i`d say it`s impossible. We`ll definitely get DVD quality(atleast as an option). But my guesses are 720p will also be offered to those with a really really FAT internet pipe. Fat enough to fill a human body I guess:D .
I really think Apple will offer atleast 3 resolutions ie QVGA, DVD and(crossing fingers) HD 720p(may be at an extra cost and limited in number of available titles). Apple needs to do something which will set them apart from Amazon. I`ll be really disappointed if all we get is the same as Amazon.
Movie service with 320x240 movies, Airport Express AV with compostie and s-video only.
:(
Extremely unlikely. Or i`d say it`s impossible. We`ll definitely get DVD quality(atleast as an option). But my guesses are 720p will also be offered to those with a really really FAT internet pipe. Fat enough to fill a human body I guess:D .
I really think Apple will offer atleast 3 resolutions ie QVGA, DVD and(crossing fingers) HD 720p(may be at an extra cost and limited in number of available titles). Apple needs to do something which will set them apart from Amazon. I`ll be really disappointed if all we get is the same as Amazon.
inlovewithi
Apr 26, 02:43 PM
"15.5" Vaio: 2.4Ghz Core i5, 4gb of Ram, Radeon 5470 512mb $860 Aug/2010. A mac with similar specs, and a weaker GPU would have cost me around a $1,000 extra, so I've been Apple free since Aug 2010.
And yet you can't stay away.
Sad.
I like to come here every once in a while, checkout the logic behind some of the comments. More interest in the psychological aspect of the comments.
And yet you can't stay away.
Sad.
I like to come here every once in a while, checkout the logic behind some of the comments. More interest in the psychological aspect of the comments.
Stridder44
Aug 2, 12:18 PM
God I can't wait to see the new Finder/OS X developments........and MBP updates!!!!
treysmay
Aug 7, 04:49 PM
boo this no frontrow!!! boooooo!!!!
it is a great tool, My dad loves it for doing presentations, and making the work environment for relaxed. he owns a 3 man company
it is a great tool, My dad loves it for doing presentations, and making the work environment for relaxed. he owns a 3 man company
vincenz
Apr 10, 09:39 AM
I got 24 * 24. Which is 288. I can't believe how long this thread is. And someone needs to fix the way the Mac does math...
ticman
Dec 3, 04:03 PM
Jape,
sent an email this afternoon and received the following:
(tried to cut and paste but it didn't work).
In a nutshell the ETA from manufacturer is past due (gee we already figured that out) and they have requested info from mfger and will send when they get it. long story short nothing yet so just wait and will let u know.
damn
sent an email this afternoon and received the following:
(tried to cut and paste but it didn't work).
In a nutshell the ETA from manufacturer is past due (gee we already figured that out) and they have requested info from mfger and will send when they get it. long story short nothing yet so just wait and will let u know.
damn
No comments:
Post a Comment