leroypants
Apr 8, 07:40 AM
BestBuy are some of the most notorious criminals in this country and Apple should pull out completely from their worthless trash retail stores.
This scam BestBuy is pulling is just the lastest in a long series of scams from the mafia of retail. Steve Jobs is pulling an Eliot Ness, he's the only one who can take these criminals down. Good for Apple.
Code red.
http://www.designinginteractive.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Apple-Fanboy-Alert-small.jpg
This scam BestBuy is pulling is just the lastest in a long series of scams from the mafia of retail. Steve Jobs is pulling an Eliot Ness, he's the only one who can take these criminals down. Good for Apple.
Code red.
http://www.designinginteractive.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Apple-Fanboy-Alert-small.jpg
milo
Jul 20, 04:34 PM
I think Logic can only use two cores/processors with a cludge to use the other two on a quad (by pretending it's a remote machine). Someone told me this though so I'm not 100% on that.
This is true. Logic will use up to about half the available processing power. Using the kludge (which is pretty simple but has some limitations) you can get close to all of it. Which allows for a ton more power than any of the dual G5s.
Still, apple needs to update Logic ASAP to use the full power without a hack. I can't believe it's taken them this long, they BETTER make the fix for all quad machines and not just intel boxes.
I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but Kentsfield will not be appearing in any of the Pro machines for some time.
Apple will be using them exclusively in the Xserves, at for the most part of 2007. This will finally give Apple another way to distinguish their server line from their pro line.
I don't buy that. Apple needs a workstation machine with the fastest available chips. PC's will use them in workstations, it would make no sense to cripple the top of the line desktop machine! Servers are distinguished from the pro line because they have a completely different form factor and feature set, no need to add artificial distincions.
Neither Apple or Dell operate in bubbles. They both realize that these chips belong in real servers and also requires an OS that can support such chips.
You don't think ANY pc makers will ship workstations with kentsfield? Why not? This is a chip that would be perfect for a workstation, you think nobody will take the opportunity to use it? The chips are fast as hell, what makes you think they only belong in servers? Are there features that can only be taken advantage of in a server and not in a workstation?
This is true. Logic will use up to about half the available processing power. Using the kludge (which is pretty simple but has some limitations) you can get close to all of it. Which allows for a ton more power than any of the dual G5s.
Still, apple needs to update Logic ASAP to use the full power without a hack. I can't believe it's taken them this long, they BETTER make the fix for all quad machines and not just intel boxes.
I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but Kentsfield will not be appearing in any of the Pro machines for some time.
Apple will be using them exclusively in the Xserves, at for the most part of 2007. This will finally give Apple another way to distinguish their server line from their pro line.
I don't buy that. Apple needs a workstation machine with the fastest available chips. PC's will use them in workstations, it would make no sense to cripple the top of the line desktop machine! Servers are distinguished from the pro line because they have a completely different form factor and feature set, no need to add artificial distincions.
Neither Apple or Dell operate in bubbles. They both realize that these chips belong in real servers and also requires an OS that can support such chips.
You don't think ANY pc makers will ship workstations with kentsfield? Why not? This is a chip that would be perfect for a workstation, you think nobody will take the opportunity to use it? The chips are fast as hell, what makes you think they only belong in servers? Are there features that can only be taken advantage of in a server and not in a workstation?
BillyShears
Aug 7, 10:03 PM
Perhaps sometime between now and Spring 2007 they might find the time to change that.
Right, but certainly not "all the pictures" show a unified interface, which is what I was replying to. I'd like if it were unified, though.
Right, but certainly not "all the pictures" show a unified interface, which is what I was replying to. I'd like if it were unified, though.
xxBURT0Nxx
Apr 7, 09:26 AM
ok don't be as ass! back-lit keyboard on the 13' but not the 11' would be heartbreaking for those of us who wants the 11 and will make the decision making between the two even harder..
yes posting DREAM spec's for a machine that he really knows absolutely nothing about makes him an ass because it is not your dream spec sheet:confused: some people these days... smh:rolleyes:
yes posting DREAM spec's for a machine that he really knows absolutely nothing about makes him an ass because it is not your dream spec sheet:confused: some people these days... smh:rolleyes:
Consultant
Apr 11, 11:36 AM
We'll see in a few months.
Apple has never been one to react to competition in the recent years. They seem to do what they think is best and let others follow them.
I think they know that if they bring out the best one when it is released, they will sell as many as they can make for a long time.
Agree.
Apple has never been one to react to competition in the recent years. They seem to do what they think is best and let others follow them.
I think they know that if they bring out the best one when it is released, they will sell as many as they can make for a long time.
Agree.
Multimedia
Aug 17, 01:59 PM
The interesting thing to note from the Anandtech review is that to saturate a 2 core setup, all you need is one program. To saturate a quad, you need to be doing a bit more at the same time. To saturate an octo, you need to be doing a hell of a lot of things at the same time.Not so. I can only run one compression process at a time on the Quad G5 unless I want the speed of that process and others I want to run at the same time to be compromized. Both Toast and Handbrake can use 4 cores EACH.Now I don't know bout you lot, but there's only so much I can do at the same time.This is the place where you are misunderstanding how LITTLE one can do with only 4 cores. Sure it helps to be able to run anything I like and still use FCP with no performance hit. So I think a quad is perfect for that. But when it comes to 8+ cores, your actual workflow won't improve in the slightest unless it doesn't involve you having to do anything (eg run 4 instances of handbrake). I'm sure everyone once in a while has some work that can just be delegated to the CPU and it does its thing, but for the most part, where your attention and brain is needed, an 8 core will sit at least 50% idle.Not from where I'm sitting. The opposite is true for me.Considering Clovertowns will have a slower, twice saturated FSB and lower clock speeds, most people will be better off (financially and productively) with Woodcrests. I'm just hoping that when octos are announced, the quads will drop in price.But speed is not our problem. Apps already capable of saturating 4 cores need more cores to run simultaneously without compromising speed.Now if they start to optimise apps to take full advantage of more than 2 cores, that's a whole different ballgame ;)That is what has already happened. You were unaware of that fact. So yes, it is a whole different ballgame already. :eek:
MacSA
Sep 19, 03:53 AM
PowerBook G5 by the holidays.
Oh My God lol
........anyway, maybe the MacBook will stick with core duo, if they do, they could (and should) cut the price since those core duo chips are supposed to drop in price soon. And if they still insist on shipping a �750 laptop with a combodrive worth 50p i'll scream.
Oh My God lol
........anyway, maybe the MacBook will stick with core duo, if they do, they could (and should) cut the price since those core duo chips are supposed to drop in price soon. And if they still insist on shipping a �750 laptop with a combodrive worth 50p i'll scream.
laurim
Apr 25, 02:47 PM
If the chicken littles had any idea how transparent and documented their lives already are, they would never leave the house. It amazes me how many people think "other people" are trying to find out what they do in their mundane lives. Some egos!
I hate to think that a decent way to track potential terrorist movements was ruined by all of this bs. Imagine how much good information could have been had if a terrorist was arrested and his cell phone record scanned to find out where other terrorists are meeting. But no, you people have to tell them to delete the file. Thanks!
I hate to think that a decent way to track potential terrorist movements was ruined by all of this bs. Imagine how much good information could have been had if a terrorist was arrested and his cell phone record scanned to find out where other terrorists are meeting. But no, you people have to tell them to delete the file. Thanks!
joecool85
Jul 27, 09:41 AM
Yay! Chips that don't suck and are fast! (I hate P4s)
MacRumors
Aug 16, 10:33 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)
Barefeats provides (http://www.barefeats.com/quad06.html) benchmarks comparing the Quad 3GHz Mac Pro (Xeon) vs the Quad G5 2.5GHz Power Mac (G5). This represents the new top of the line vs the old top of the line Mac.
They provide benchmarks for both non-Universal and Universal applications between the Mac Pro 3GHz, Mac Pro 2.66GHz and PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5GHz.
The top-end Mac Pro performed well compared to the Quad G5 with both Photoshop CS2 and After Effects 7.0 despite running under Rosetta emulation on the Mac Pro. Universal upgrades to these applications should provide additional performance boosts.
Meanwhile, Universal applications iMovie HD 6, Final Cut Pro 5, FileMaker Pro 8.5 and Cinebench 9.5 generally showed substantial improvements even in the 2.66GHz Mac Pro vs the 2.5GHz PowerMac.
There's no doubt that both versions of the Mac Pro are faster than the G5 Quad-Core running Universal Binary apps like iMovie, Final Cut Pro, etc. As you can see from the four UB tests we ran in this session, the Mac Pro 2.66GHz was as much as 62% faster than the Quad-Core G5/2.5GHz. The Mac Pro 3.0GHz was as much as 85% faster.
Barefeats provides (http://www.barefeats.com/quad06.html) benchmarks comparing the Quad 3GHz Mac Pro (Xeon) vs the Quad G5 2.5GHz Power Mac (G5). This represents the new top of the line vs the old top of the line Mac.
They provide benchmarks for both non-Universal and Universal applications between the Mac Pro 3GHz, Mac Pro 2.66GHz and PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5GHz.
The top-end Mac Pro performed well compared to the Quad G5 with both Photoshop CS2 and After Effects 7.0 despite running under Rosetta emulation on the Mac Pro. Universal upgrades to these applications should provide additional performance boosts.
Meanwhile, Universal applications iMovie HD 6, Final Cut Pro 5, FileMaker Pro 8.5 and Cinebench 9.5 generally showed substantial improvements even in the 2.66GHz Mac Pro vs the 2.5GHz PowerMac.
There's no doubt that both versions of the Mac Pro are faster than the G5 Quad-Core running Universal Binary apps like iMovie, Final Cut Pro, etc. As you can see from the four UB tests we ran in this session, the Mac Pro 2.66GHz was as much as 62% faster than the Quad-Core G5/2.5GHz. The Mac Pro 3.0GHz was as much as 85% faster.
azzurri000
Sep 18, 11:51 PM
1. It's Merom. Not Memrom, Menron, Memron or even L. Ron.
I got a good laugh out of the MacRumors Memron movement (of sorts)!
I got a good laugh out of the MacRumors Memron movement (of sorts)!
bryanc
Aug 11, 10:52 AM
I'm stuck in a contract for another year, so I'll be watching to see how this pans out. Hopefully, I'll be able to jump on a Rev B without reservations.
Given Apple's patent on the click-wheel interface, what do you think the likelihood of a virtual rotary phone interface? There are plenty of people who are now adults who've never 'dialled' a phone. It would be really slick if Apple could find a way for all of us old-farts to re-activiate our kinaesthetic memories and dial up and old friend using the click wheel on our new iPhones.
Cheers
Given Apple's patent on the click-wheel interface, what do you think the likelihood of a virtual rotary phone interface? There are plenty of people who are now adults who've never 'dialled' a phone. It would be really slick if Apple could find a way for all of us old-farts to re-activiate our kinaesthetic memories and dial up and old friend using the click wheel on our new iPhones.
Cheers
dscuber9000
Mar 19, 09:31 PM
Military operations in Iraq have ended, and Obama campaigned on agreeing the Afghanistan War... so I don't know what you're talking about, honestly.
And I think it is pretty rich for a conservative to bring up his failing to close Guantanamo Bay when it is the conservatives who are trying so hard to keep it open. :rolleyes:
And yes, I completely disagree with what we're doing in Libya. But I don't think putting someone in office who would cut pretty much everything the government does is the right answer. :rolleyes:
And I think it is pretty rich for a conservative to bring up his failing to close Guantanamo Bay when it is the conservatives who are trying so hard to keep it open. :rolleyes:
And yes, I completely disagree with what we're doing in Libya. But I don't think putting someone in office who would cut pretty much everything the government does is the right answer. :rolleyes:
shawnce
Jul 20, 11:43 AM
Strike:
- release date of 10.5 revealed - possibly more stuff revealed
Insert:
-release of 10.5
Sorry I don't see that happening... Apple has basically always given developers a few months (to several months) lead time with the next major version of Mac OS X. That has taken place yet... so I don't see it being released at WWDC 2006.
- release date of 10.5 revealed - possibly more stuff revealed
Insert:
-release of 10.5
Sorry I don't see that happening... Apple has basically always given developers a few months (to several months) lead time with the next major version of Mac OS X. That has taken place yet... so I don't see it being released at WWDC 2006.
Machead III
Sep 19, 09:27 AM
I hope that the MacBook with Core 2 Duo is better than the Core Duo version :)
I hope it's worse?
I hope it's worse?
tipt
Apr 10, 06:47 PM
This is simple, folks. I predict the introduction of AirEdit, to go with AirPlay and AirPrint.
What do we currently have in place?
Q Master
Logic Nodes
AirPlay
OS X server (now bundled in lion)
iPad multitouch UI tablet with the power to stream A/V over a network
AppleTV to stream media over a mac network to an HDTV
iTunes as a hub for media
Now, how could FCP utilize all of that? How could all these little pieces add up to one large, powerful network for editing and distributing media throughout a home or office?
I'll bet the iPad will be able to control the FCP UI and take advantage of a cluster of Mac Pro's (or a single mac) to do a lot of the editing, compressing, etc, and then use the iPad to stream that footage to any HDTV with an AppleTV or mac connected to it.
I'm sure there will be a new UI and we can always sit at the workstation if we please, but imagine being able to make edits, compress, and stream rough drafts across the country/world. You can be editing on your xserve cluster from the airport while your waiting for your flight. With in air wifi, you could probably even work from the plane...without the bulk of a laptop.
The guy in the video mentioned thunderbolt and that Apple knew what the competition was up to. Something to that effect. Must be a reason for point that out specifically.
What do we currently have in place?
Q Master
Logic Nodes
AirPlay
OS X server (now bundled in lion)
iPad multitouch UI tablet with the power to stream A/V over a network
AppleTV to stream media over a mac network to an HDTV
iTunes as a hub for media
Now, how could FCP utilize all of that? How could all these little pieces add up to one large, powerful network for editing and distributing media throughout a home or office?
I'll bet the iPad will be able to control the FCP UI and take advantage of a cluster of Mac Pro's (or a single mac) to do a lot of the editing, compressing, etc, and then use the iPad to stream that footage to any HDTV with an AppleTV or mac connected to it.
I'm sure there will be a new UI and we can always sit at the workstation if we please, but imagine being able to make edits, compress, and stream rough drafts across the country/world. You can be editing on your xserve cluster from the airport while your waiting for your flight. With in air wifi, you could probably even work from the plane...without the bulk of a laptop.
The guy in the video mentioned thunderbolt and that Apple knew what the competition was up to. Something to that effect. Must be a reason for point that out specifically.
GekkePrutser
Apr 6, 11:13 AM
IMHO i would love to see an 11.6 MBA with an i3. So that there could still be enough power for backlit.
And please, do make the screen better for the 11.6
There isn't an i3 in any low voltage or ultra low voltage spec for Sandy Bridge.
And please, do make the screen better for the 11.6
There isn't an i3 in any low voltage or ultra low voltage spec for Sandy Bridge.
thunng8
Apr 9, 08:52 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)
TDP != Max power draw
It's not. See my earlier post in this thread. Maximum power dissipation is usually 20-30% more.
But in the case of the Sb quad core the figure seems to be in excess of 50%, not 20%
TDP != Max power draw
It's not. See my earlier post in this thread. Maximum power dissipation is usually 20-30% more.
But in the case of the Sb quad core the figure seems to be in excess of 50%, not 20%
squeeks
Apr 28, 03:44 PM
I think it is absolutely appalling that you people are calling anyone who just wanted proof that Obama is qualified, per the constitution, to be president (being born in America) a racist. That is an awful big accusation and personally I can't believe the administration at MR allows that kind of talk.
This is exactly why I no longer donate to this site.
This is exactly why I no longer donate to this site.
ccrandall77
Aug 11, 04:00 PM
I'm eligible for a new phone in just five days. As of right now I'm going to get the Chocolate because I like the style. Couldn't really care less about listening to music on my phone, that's what my iPod's for. ;)
But...but...if Apple does release a phone and I've already bought the Chocolate then I'll be kicking myself to no end. But on the other hand, how likely is it that the iPhone will even work on Verizon?
Bah! I need a new phone! :(
You might want to read some reviews on the Chocolate before buying it. I've seen a handful of reviews that were less than favorable.
A good resource is Phonescoop.com. They usually have a decent amount of user reviews upon which you can base your purchasing decisions.
But...but...if Apple does release a phone and I've already bought the Chocolate then I'll be kicking myself to no end. But on the other hand, how likely is it that the iPhone will even work on Verizon?
Bah! I need a new phone! :(
You might want to read some reviews on the Chocolate before buying it. I've seen a handful of reviews that were less than favorable.
A good resource is Phonescoop.com. They usually have a decent amount of user reviews upon which you can base your purchasing decisions.
MacRumors
Aug 11, 10:05 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)
Despite being uncharacteristic of the secretive Steve Jobs we have grown to know, AppleInsider reports that the Apple CEO has been boasting about Apple's upcoming phone offering (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1959) to his inner circle. Apparently, Steve's own excitement over the product has lead him to produce a few "zealous ramblings" dating back as early as this past spring.
AppleInsider also offers a little more information (although cryptic) on the characteristics of the phone.
One person familiar with the ongoings believes the Apple cofounder has commissioned the release of cell phone prototypes to at least two potential OEM manufacturing partners in recent months. Current designs are said to conform to Apple's integrated model and leverage its tightly-knit digital media franchises, that person added.
In addition, AppleInsider quotes a source who states that the phone is indeed set to launch "earlier than some people may be expecting, in the form of a 'big bang' introduction that will catch even some insiders off-guard." ThinkSecret has previously stated that the phone has seen delays (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/03/20060330174059.shtml) that could set it back as far as next year, whereas Engadget has recently stated that the phone could arrive as early as this month (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/07/20060729213347.shtml).
Despite being uncharacteristic of the secretive Steve Jobs we have grown to know, AppleInsider reports that the Apple CEO has been boasting about Apple's upcoming phone offering (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1959) to his inner circle. Apparently, Steve's own excitement over the product has lead him to produce a few "zealous ramblings" dating back as early as this past spring.
AppleInsider also offers a little more information (although cryptic) on the characteristics of the phone.
One person familiar with the ongoings believes the Apple cofounder has commissioned the release of cell phone prototypes to at least two potential OEM manufacturing partners in recent months. Current designs are said to conform to Apple's integrated model and leverage its tightly-knit digital media franchises, that person added.
In addition, AppleInsider quotes a source who states that the phone is indeed set to launch "earlier than some people may be expecting, in the form of a 'big bang' introduction that will catch even some insiders off-guard." ThinkSecret has previously stated that the phone has seen delays (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/03/20060330174059.shtml) that could set it back as far as next year, whereas Engadget has recently stated that the phone could arrive as early as this month (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/07/20060729213347.shtml).
ten-oak-druid
Apr 19, 09:01 PM
I remember when the ipad 2 was announced. A samsung CEO said "we're going to have to rethink our copy of the ipad." Very innovative.
Blue Velvet
Mar 22, 10:21 AM
I was stewing about this
Honestly, don't bother. You think facts count for anything? One simple pointed observation about Ronald Reagan was enough to stop the flow of nonsense in its tracks. Congress hasn't declared war since the mid-1940s... funny how that's so important all of a sudden now.
As for the ill-advised juvenile rant about liberals and 'their' first black president, I think it's far better that sort of comment is left intact for others to read. The full workings of the conservative id are plain to see.
Honestly, don't bother. You think facts count for anything? One simple pointed observation about Ronald Reagan was enough to stop the flow of nonsense in its tracks. Congress hasn't declared war since the mid-1940s... funny how that's so important all of a sudden now.
As for the ill-advised juvenile rant about liberals and 'their' first black president, I think it's far better that sort of comment is left intact for others to read. The full workings of the conservative id are plain to see.
bibbz
Jun 11, 09:09 PM
Okay, the guy I talked to seem pretty good. He just said he can't guarantee that they are even going to get the phones on the 24th. Thats what worried me. He said he couldn't promise me that they will have the phones on the 24th.
The way our DC knows to send us phones on launches is by how many we pre order.
For example for the evo launch my store pre ordered 10, so we were guaranteed to get 10. We also got some extra based on how many pre orders we took, so we got 15 total. The 5 extra were gone within the 1st hour. About 1/2 the pre orders were gone by 10, then the rest of the pre orders came in randomly throughout the day.
As a company we had 10k we could pre order. Once all the stores reached that limit, pre orders stopped. Then we had a different allocation of phones that were sent to stores based on how many preorders they did. I would imagine apple will have us in waaaay better position than just 10k for 4500ish stores.
One thing to be concerned about though if you are on the west coast is if we have say 25k to pre order from, the other 3 time zones have a 3 hour jump on those. All the pre orders could be gone by the time the west coast stores open. Pre order early, and pre order often!!
The way our DC knows to send us phones on launches is by how many we pre order.
For example for the evo launch my store pre ordered 10, so we were guaranteed to get 10. We also got some extra based on how many pre orders we took, so we got 15 total. The 5 extra were gone within the 1st hour. About 1/2 the pre orders were gone by 10, then the rest of the pre orders came in randomly throughout the day.
As a company we had 10k we could pre order. Once all the stores reached that limit, pre orders stopped. Then we had a different allocation of phones that were sent to stores based on how many preorders they did. I would imagine apple will have us in waaaay better position than just 10k for 4500ish stores.
One thing to be concerned about though if you are on the west coast is if we have say 25k to pre order from, the other 3 time zones have a 3 hour jump on those. All the pre orders could be gone by the time the west coast stores open. Pre order early, and pre order often!!
No comments:
Post a Comment